RP Scherer Softgel Technologies
Proven. Innovative. Versatile.
As the innovator of softgel technologies, Catalent RP Scherer softgel brings more than 80 years of development expertise and manufacturing experience to the full spectrum of lipid-based drug delivery. Softgel technology is proven to enhance bioavailability for poorly soluble molecules. It offers numerous advantages that can help bring your challenging compounds to market faster.
Benefit of softgel and lipid based drug delivery system:
- Enhance the bioavailability of your poorly water-soluble (BCS II and IV) compounds
- Improve dose uniformity of your potent compounds and minimize patient-to-patient variability
- Generate faster onset of action, reducing API dose, minimizing side effects, and improving your overall treatment performance
- Reduce development time through a proven dosage form with a strong track record of commercial success
- Get specialized handling and manufacturing for your hormones, cytotoxics, potent and difficult APIs
- Differentiate your brand with various color, shape, size and printing options and protect your product from counterfeiting and tampering
- Reconsider your product life cycle management by generating a faster onset of action, reducing API dose, minimizing side effects, and improving your overall treatment performance.
We enable better outcomes for a broader range of challenging molecules with our deep development expertise, advanced delivery technologies and integrated supply solutions.Our recent innovations can put even more molecules on a faster path to commercialization:
- OptiGel™ Bio technology for macromolecule encapsulation
- OptiShell™ technology for modified release
- OptiGel™ Lock technology for abuse deterrence
- OptiGel™ Micro technology for flexible dosing
- Coated softgels
- Suppositories and vaginal ovules
How It's Made
Catalent RP Scherer Softgel Services
- Pre-formulation and feasibility studies
- Solubility screening of NCEs
- Softgel capsule fill formulation development
- Small-scale lab encapsulation for providing early stability data and final formulation selection
- Shell development
- An extensive gelatin shell library, which enables us to offer a wide variety of gelatin options for a range of products
- A large range of shell formula and compatibility possibilities
- Extensive technical support in capsule product development
- Self-emulsifying/microemulsion vehicle systems
- Unique formulations leading to potentially patentable line extensions
- Reliable supply from clinical phases to commercial manufacturing
- Contingency planning and quality assurance via our biggest global network
Global Leader of Softgel Technology
It is important to work with a high quality, reputable industry partner that has the experience and knowledge to help design an optimal softgel formulation, based on the specific physicochemical properties of your API. Additionally, it is advantageous to use the same partner for scale-up and commercial manufacturing with simplified process.
As the global leader of softgel technology, Catalent:
- Supported 50+ New Drug Applications for Rx and OTC drugs in the last four decades
- Is the largest softgel manufacturer in the world, with 200+ products on the market in 80+ countries
Salva R. and Browne J., Lipid-Based Drug Delivery System to Bring Poorly Soluble Drugs to Market, Drug Development and Delivery, September 2016 Vol 16 No 7
Softgel Global Network
Our deep formulation expertise supported by a global infrastructure of cGMP, FDA, EMA, and locally accredited softgel facilities provide a catalyst to your success, by tailoring the drug delivery solutions to bring your product faster to market.